Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Method 6 -Youtube

Anyone that knows, me knows Im a sucker for a good youtube video. If that is the case you probably also know that I love the TV Show Parks & Recreation on NBC. Not only is this show funny and original, it also portrays librarians in, how shall we say, not the best light. To the members of city government, the library is the most evil department there is. They are conniving, backstabbing and just plain mean. I find this hilarious, because generally the sterotype for a librarian is a sweet older lady that wears pearls and has a collection of cats that rivals their collection of books. Since I am not the sterotpical librarian, I love seeing funny portrayals of librarians like that on Parks and Recreation. Id like to share a short clip from the show that I found on Youtube to illustrate what their true feelings are for the library:

Ok, now back to business. I really think that youtube is a great resource that libraries can take advantage of. With an inexpensive videocamera (or smart phone) the library can make a wide variety of videos. We can do tutorials, tours, post programming, create skits etc to advertise the library services and just overall show that we are "cool". While there is quite a bit of junk on youtube, if you can create a really great funny video, it can be priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment