Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Method 5- Photo sharing

Eze sur mer from Eze hilltop garden by evissa
Eze sur mer from Eze hilltop garden, a photo by evissa on Flickr.

I use flickr to find and post this beautiful picture for this particular blog entry. My next vacation will hopefully be to France, so I went and did some searching to find a beautiful photo of the area I want to travel to, the Cote d'Azure. This week I looked at photo sharing. I love pictures, and I love traveling so one would think I would be better about keeping my pictures organized. WRONG! I have been fortunate enough to have been to numerous states and also to a few foreign countries as well, however I do not have the pictures to reflect this. I seem to come and go in my regards to online photo sharing. I had an account with yahoo's old photo sharing site, however they closed that site down and because I did not transfer my photos in time, I lost about 5 years worth of memories. I am trying to be better about it now. Part of the problem is downloading and organizing photos onto your personal computer from your camera can be troublesome and time consuming. Now that I have a smart phone, it is almost no work at all to snap and then immediately post to my facebook account. I did take the trip of a lifetime last summer and that inspired me to get back on the photo sharing bandwagon with google's photo sharing, Picasa. I have a few friends that use it so I decided to give it a try. It was a great way to share my vacation photos with family members that were far away. Having looked at flickr and having experience with Picasa, I'm torn as to which one I like better. I do like the ability to send photos from flickr directly to snapfish for printing, that is quite convenient, and since Picasa is linked to my google email, that's pretty convenient, too. I guess Ill just have to keep practicing in order to figure out which one is best for me in the long run.
As for libraries, I can see how using flickr or something similar can be helpful to showcase different activities, events even the art and architecture of a building. For the library I work at, this might not be the best use of our time since we are a relatively small library in terms of physical space and we rarely offer programming and exhibits. In our case our efforts might better be spent on youtube or facebook efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment