Friday, August 5, 2011

Method 10 - Wikis

Up until just a few years ago, I was a snob when it came to wikis. I thought they were useless and that there was no one anyone could use them for good reliable information. Having had more experience with them in both my personal and professional life, I have changed my tune. Would I recommend a PhD student use it as a reference for their thesis, probably not. Is it a good place to get quick definitions, info on current events, pop culture or the order of books in a series? By all means! Especially after reading the material and practicing with a real live wiki I can see that there are even more uses that I had ever imagined. While we probably wont use a wiki in our library any time soon, I can see the applications in the library as a quick place to post things and get the public interacting with the library. I look forward to seeing more uses and hopefully being able to integrate them into our suite of technology offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment